(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-6265552461186991", enable_page_level_ads: true });

Regression

Anything and everything else goes here.
Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Orientation: Gay
Mood:

Regression

Post by Axle » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:12 am

I know Facebook doesn't represent everyone but it certainly has a lot of influence on society and has changed the world, but not always for the better. I don't know who all here uses Facebook or any social media but I know I can't be the only one who doesn't notice all the hatefulness on social media. I get everyone has their opinion on things but the ugliness that so many people exhibit is alarming. Are we regressing?

For one thing I know that I should not let anything like this bother me or get under my skin because this stuff is not likely to change, if anything it will probably get worse. I've been joining a few different art groups on Facebook so share my paintings, discussion -- what anyone else would do and no, nobody said anything negative about my artwork. Someone posted an oil painting, first one they had ever done, of a nun deep throating a crucifix. Of course, this isn't my sort of thing and although the subject matter is a little off putting it doesn't bother me and I'm all for helping anyone who is wanting to pursue art. However, as you might have imagined a lot of people were bothered by that painting, a lot of negative comments (and the admins were booting many people from the group). For an art group, or people interested in art, I've never seen so many people try to say what art is and isn't and unfairly critiquing this person's painting only because of the subject matter. So what do I do, I chime in.
My opinion is this. It's art. It is freedom of expression. Simple as that. As an example some people enjoy watching RuPaul's Drag Race, some find it horrible and disgusting but despite everyone's opinion that is still a form of art and like drawing, painting or sculpting -- there's a lot of thought, time and energy put into it all. Is it my cup of tea, not really. As far as being objective and giving advice I always point people to "Draw Mix Paint" on YouTube. There's a lot of good information on how to mix paint and advice on drawing and looks like you already have a pretty good grasp on drawing. Just depends on the style but you might like his style he really focuses on accuracy of color values.
Yes, making a comparison between oil painting and drag is a bit unorthodox but it is true. Regardless of what people think of drag or that person's painting, it is very much a performing art. Am I correct on that? Or am I off my rocker? (Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm not). Of course, negative comments ensued, the homophobes came out to voice their opinion telling me that no straight person who has a life should think that RuPaul's drag race is art and questions my sexuality and validity of my remarks. I mean what the hell do these people think? I guess I'm supposed to fit some sort of mold or expectation of a complete stranger? What really bothered me was that it bothered him that a straight guy would watch RuPaul's Drag Race, but it's fine if gay guys and women watched it. So I can pretty well sum up this prick's small minded view of the world.

It doesn't end there. Nearly every news article posted has some kind of negative connotation to it, and the TV stations who repost the articles know it, they just want the engagement. There's a lot of FUD surrounding vaccines right now and there were people parrotting the whole anti-vaxxer routine. I made a comment remarking about how much worse the diseases that vaccines protect against over the rare likelihood of a reaction to a vaccines. Someone's reply was that I'm a moron lol. You cannot have a civil discussion with people on social media. It just seems it has become a place to be hateful and hurtful to people behind a keyboard, posting dumb political memes that portray a short sighted stance and stupid memes that go around 40 times. I re-joined Facebook mainly because I wanted to share my artwork and hopefully at some point sell some of it by making people aware that I have artwork to sell, but I have no interest in stupid memes and games that everyone spends their time with. All these pages (news mostly) are more focused on making you outraged about something. Man, I get outraged and angry enough about things, I don't need people telling me what I need to be outraged about or to try to engage someone in what will end up in a shit slinging contest.

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Re: Regression

Post by LJay » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Don't know that I would call it regression, but folks certainly do seem to feel free to let their downside show. Part of it may be the anonymity of the social media. Knowing little of each other lets people get away with saying most anything. Something else to consider is that many people don't really know how to discuss a topic objectively so they blast an opinion instead of taking the time to think. I have a friend that does this. Never thinks that a topic of discussion may have many facets, simply gives an immediate up or down, yes or no, good or bad pronouncement. End of discussion. It is such a common pattern that many folks avoid online discussions because of it.

Another side to all of this is that some venues simply have different tones than others. The difference in mood and manners between the Real Jock site and GaySpeak was certainly notable. Civility is an art that too few practice.

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:36 pm

I guess things must seem more black and white and not saying I haven't spouted off my opinion on something which was unfounded but I do try to be objective when ever possible. My problem is that I don't do well with people who are just up or down like that, particularly when I don't agree with them lol, but I don't think people should be blind to their opinion. For instance, "why do you believe in God? Because I was told there was a God." The thing is they never question. In another Facebook post I made a comment to today (and I ought to know better than to get involved in politics on Facebook as it often goes about as well as discussing politics at Thanksgiving dinner).

A friend of mine posted this image on Facebook, of course this is supposed to satire. Both of these people I went to school with way way back in the day:

Person 1: You do know Obama is no longer in office right and Killary lost? You know, the eight years this country was going to shit I don't recall you whining about anything. You fall perfectly into the category that Democrats recognize as "useful idiots". I'm more surprised that someone like you can be just so pessimistic and negative. and it is more surprising that so many of you people actually hope for this country to fail just so you don't look like a whack job for the next 6 years while Trump is in office.
Person 2: I’ve been complaining about all the issues with America since high school, but thank you, Person 1, for your incredible insights into who I am, utterly illuminating.
Person 2: Person 1 let me ask you this- what are you currently optimistic about?
Me: I think the scary thing here is that the country is literally divided by red and blue and unwilling to civilly discuss the issues at all. You can look at nearly every news article and witness the utter lack of humanity. It also seems that most people in this country are told by some guy on TV, a facebook post, a meme what to think and how to feel about every issue and even how to vote and they fiercely live by it. To me it is very scary that the majority of the population will willingly and blindly put more faith in some demagogue who claims that they're supporting you when it can't be any more blatantly obvious that they could care less. If they say they're for the "middle class" it's never the truth, regardless of the party. Personally I think it's a big dog and pony show and all the high ranking politicians are in on helping their buddies and stuffing their pockets full of cash. They are all a bunch of crooked, self-serving, over privileged physcopaths. I really do question that if there are any politicians regardless of the party they're in that have any interest in the average person other than to get their vote. It's a big club and none of us are invited.

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by LJay » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Sounds reasonable enough, Axle, though I think sociopath fits better than psychopath.

Just remember: A wise fish never takes the bait.

Social Media