(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-6265552461186991", enable_page_level_ads: true });

RuPaul's Drag Race

Topics about movies and TV shows, series, documentaries.
Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Orientation: Gay
Mood:

RuPaul's Drag Race

Post by Axle » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:38 am

I know I'm late to the game but I did recently discover RuPaul's Drag Race. Without going into a rant I can say I did learn quite a bit about drag queens and really how it is very much an art. Anyway, I watched all of season 10 and the finale the other day. What did you guys think of the finale? I don't want to spoil it for those who might not have watched it yet, so I won't just yet talk about who won and who didn't.

DQPumpkinhead
New User
New User
Reactions:

Re: RuPaul's Drag Race

Post by DQPumpkinhead » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Love the show and thought this to be the best season yet.
I was heart broken for theQueen that her gimmick didn’t work. Great idea but only for a small stage.
Although I liked the winner I was disappointed she won. The one think I think she had never been charismatic or unique in my mind.
Only one of the three had all four requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Which Queen's gimmick are you referring to? I think Aquaria just did a better performance, at least on the finale anyway. I felt that Eureka's drag was a rerun from the other episode. That all being said, I didn't read into all the crap that was going around social media -- I only started watching the show late into the season. Oh and the dead butterflies, although I'm sure it was not intentional but just a bizarre choice imo.

DQPumpkinhead
New User
New User
Reactions:

Post by DQPumpkinhead » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:01 pm

Last year, the winner did the wig removal that rained rose petals and it was absolutely what clinched the crown for her. I think Asia tried to do something just as unexpected by releasing butterflies. So now I’m sure so many DragQueens will try to top the RosePetals and I don’t think anyone will. They shouldn’t even try in my opinion. As for Aquaria, I didn’t enjoy her performance. It just seemed like something I would see at any drag show. I think I subconsciously wanted Eurika to win because she was the “big” girl. I know how people can look down on us and one ever really thinks big or “fat” people can be someone to look up to, to aspire to. Perhaps I was hoping it would a little respect to those of us carrying “a little extra”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:23 pm

I’ve been watching RuPauls Drag Race since season 1 when I was a 16 year old freshly out little gay boy.

I don’t like Aquaria. Especially because she made a big deal about being from NYC the whole time. Bitch is from philly.

My favorite season was the one with JuJuBee. I don’t often agree with RuPaul’s final decision. My favorite was Monet X Change.
Last edited by emiliano on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:24 pm

I did like seeing Nina Flowers at the finale though. She was my favorite in season 1

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Have you guys seen the Boulet Brothers’ Dragula? It’s like a much darker and weirder drag race. It has my favorite feedback I’ve ever heard in it - I forget the line exactly because it was from like a year ago and I’m drunk but it was something like “you had the perfect opportunity to show your asshole on stage and you chose not to”

That show freaked me out the first few episodes but then I fell in love with it. It’s horror/filth drag rather than the pageant m/beauty kind of girls you see on drag race.

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:11 pm

emiliano wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 pm
Have you guys seen the Boulet Brothers’ Dragula? It’s like a much darker and weirder drag race. It has my favorite feedback I’ve ever heard in it - I forget the line exactly because it was from like a year ago and I’m drunk but it was something like “you had the perfect opportunity to show your asshole on stage and you chose not to”

That show freaked me out the first few episodes but then I fell in love with it. It’s horror/filth drag rather than the pageant m/beauty kind of girls you see on drag race.
Nope I haven't heard of it. I honestly never seen Drag Race until this year....The cable networks never had Logo and never had sateilte -- of course now might as well have something like Sling or DirecNow...

Anyway, I did obtain pretty much all of Drag Race seasons 1 through now, actually having more trouble with season 2... Anyway, watching Season 4 now and I love Latrice. No spoilers! lol I know this is an older season but hey.

I'll have to check out the Boulet Brothers and see what it is all about... Me personally, no I would never do drag, nor do I really enjoy seeing guys in drag but it is an art form that I have began to appreciate and the entertainment and humor in it.

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:35 am

Well yeah, I’m definitely not the type to ever do drag. For one thing I’d make a hell of an ugly woman. And to be honest I’m way too shy to be a drag queen too. That takes a certain type of personality. But like you said, it’s an art and a lot of work goes into it. I’ve always liked drag race for the same reason I like a lot of other creative type reality shows - it’s cool to see what talented people pull together under pressure.

I’ve been to a lot of drag shows and I’ve always been blown away by what I’ve seen. Plus I think that drag queens and trans men and women are the heart of the lgbtq+ community. Or to be more honest, they are the unsung heroes of it.

I think RuPaul has done a lot to bring that to the broader, straight culture, and for that reason I really love drag race.

But it also plays it safe. That’s what I like about Dragula - it doesnt. It’s weird and dirty and uncomfortable and not pretty. In a way I feel like drag race is made to appeal to straight audiences. Where Dragula isnt. It’s not as consumable, so to speak. And I like that. Because I’m a strong believer that not all queer culture should be about appealing to straight audiences. Some of it should just be for us.

Fuck straight people. We don’t owe them shit and we certainly don’t need their approval.

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:26 pm

When it comes to reality tv, I normally don't care for it. I don't like Big Brother or Survivor...although my parents do so they can watch it. I think you would have a better shot at pulling off drag than me, that I can say with almost 100% certainty.

I don't think Drag Race appeals to straight men... straight women, well who wouldn't want to stare at the pit crew's junk? lol

I'll have to check it out sometime, I think the 1st season is on YouTube?

No I don't think we need straight people's approval for anything either. Society is slow...so slow to change. If only society and public opinion changed as quick as technology has. 100 years ago, 1918, light was becoming the new thing and radio was just morse code using a "spark gap" transmitter...and cars? That was a city thing pretty much. What I can say though is this old way of thinking we're seeing is slowly going away, despite all the doom and gloom were see and hear in the media... Progress is like a pendulum and it's messy as fuck. I feel that social media, as useful as it has been in social progress is also holding things back. I can't comment on a new article about vaccines without someone cursing me or calling me a moron.

Like RuPaul or not, I think he's done so much for LGBT by having that show and looking at "lost season" they have gone a long way from where they came, you can tell a lot more people are into it and even though it is toned down I think exposing straight people is doing a lot of good if you ask me.

Social Media