(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-6265552461186991", enable_page_level_ads: true });

Painting

Have a hobby? Share it!
Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Orientation: Gay
Mood:

Painting

Post by Axle » Wed May 16, 2018 2:06 pm

To make a this a short story... I watched a few episodes of "The Joy of Painting" with Bob Ross and thought I would paint. A little background info, I enjoyed doing paintings when I was in art class way back when I was still in school but I never really got to use oil paint that often. More often enough we could use watercolor and acrylic sometimes. So far I have done 3 paintings (4 actually) and planning on doing a 5th one once the paint comes in... Like any hobby there are ins and out and in this case to do the northern lights I need transparent colors.

The first 2 I pretty much followed Bob Ross' wet-on-wet technique and they turned out ok for not having painted anything in forever... The 3rd was my first ever attempt at a still life painting and while none of these are fine art I have to say I'm happy with the results....

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Re: Painting

Post by LJay » Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm

"Just a happy little tree..and some clouds...just like that..."

I always admired Bob Ross for being able to help me relax and just see something nice. I still keep an eye out for his videos. They are better than tranquilizers.

Actually nice stuff Axle. If they ever have a talent show at work, you should take them for show. Glad to
see you enjoying doing something with your hands. With all the internet and electronics these days we tend to forget the joy of paints, or whittling, or carpentry or knitting. Keep up the good work.

And, by the way, the girth of you banana is impressive!

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Wed May 16, 2018 9:17 pm

LJay wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm
"Just a happy little tree..and some clouds...just like that..."

I always admired Bob Ross for being able to help me relax and just see something nice. I still keep an eye out for his videos. They are better than tranquilizers.

Actually nice stuff Axle. If they ever have a talent show at work, you should take them for show. Glad to
see you enjoying doing something with your hands. With all the internet and electronics these days we tend to forget the joy of paints, or whittling, or carpentry or knitting. Keep up the good work.

All 31 series of Bob Ross are on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/user/BobRossInc

Honestly when I came across his series (again...from my childhood) I found him to be quite relaxing...whether you like his art or not. Then I, sadly, thought I would find out what Bob was doing today -- I didn't realize he passed away in 1995 :cry:
The more I researched about him, documentary, company, etc... he pretty much was the Bob on the show. He was a good guy and appreciated nature and just was a very kind guy. Coming from someone who has a bit of an anger (and anxiety) issue, I think to myself I should be more like Bob in life.

That all being said watching Bob Ross was a reason I decided to get back into painting...well I never really was into painting but enjoyed it when I did it... Oh I made a little blog entry the other day... http://mikefoley.xyz/index.php/2018/05/ ... new-hobby/

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 am

Those are really nice paintings. Your still life is great, that doesn’t look like something Bob Ross taught you either. I really love him too. Art should be accessible and fun. He was an excellent teacher.

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Fri May 18, 2018 1:35 am

LJay wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:17 pm
There you go lol

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Fri May 18, 2018 8:27 am

emiliano wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 am
Those are really nice paintings. Your still life is great, that doesn’t look like something Bob Ross taught you either. I really love him too. Art should be accessible and fun. He was an excellent teacher.
Nope definitely not from Bob lol. What I did do though is cover the canvas with linseed oil and a bit of paint thinner and with a really thinned out paint (burnt umber is the color I used) and just did a rough sketch of the fruit, where they were and size...after adjusting things about 5-6 times I started filling in highlights and shadows. The hardest part is getting the size and position correct. Oh yeah I was using a photo as a reference for the painting...

The parts I feel I need to go back over and I might do it later on today is the shadows and the top left wood area... Other than that I can't really complain and normally I nitpick the shit out of things I do. I think if there's any of these that I could sell the still life is one that I could.

I am working on a northern lights painting too. It was neat to do! I painted the canvas with black acrylic and let it dry then used the same linseed oil and thinner for an undercoating and because colors like phthalo blue, phthalo green and alizarin crimson are transparent they appear black on a black canvas. So I went around where I wanted the "curtains" of the the aurora to be and went around with some titanium white and then with a larger brush stroked upward to blend it all in and the results were neat. Now the next time I do that I want to do something abstract with that technique.

Yes I do think art should be accessible and having been under a lot of stress, unhappy, depressed, anxious all the time. Tapping into this by the way of Bob Ross' legacy, it does help. Even though I have lost sleep working on a few paintings I think it does help deal with the stress.

I will say that overall, painting is a bit more affordable than some of my other hobbies. I tend to tease myself saying "what's the hobby of the week." I honestly do wish I would stick with a few hobbies, like most people do... It would seem that most people don't go all crazy with things. I guess it is part of who I am but damn lol

Anyway, whether someone likes Bob Ross as an artist or not he is very much an icon who has been able to get people in doing art. He is very soothing and relaxing to listen to and frankly inspired me to do the northern lights. Of course now I want to relive the years in school doing art... When I lived in Ohio in elementary school we had a really cool art teacher. We did all sorts of stuff, he even did claymation in the higher grades (we're talking lik 4th and 5th), so we did pottery, painting, stuff with black in white film... oil pastels all kinds of stuff and mind you this is like 3rd and 4th grades, he was the shit....and he played the guitar pretty good too. So talk about being able to inspire kids to do something creative.

If there's anything I can take away from Bob Ross, is to be more like Bob Ross. Be nice, be caring and overall be a good person. Try not to be angry and try to see the good in people and in the world which are things I have trouble with and road rage and such.

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:59 pm

I know I should probably share something more in relation to the site than well...whatever is on my mind. Anyway, I have been busy painting away. I'm actually happy with most of the results of my paintings. It is fun as long as I don't get into a competition with myself and let it just be. I do thing a few of my paintings are done well enough to be sold but I'll want to research a few things first...the art world is like everything else, finicky.

So here we are...

This one was neat, I did get into a competition with myself with this one trying to get the tiniest detail...but with the brushes I had at the time just wasn't possible. Also not trained in any technique, so that could be the solution to that problem. This took about three different sessions and I think it turned out pretty good. I think if I were to do another painting like this I would do a few things differently.
34552694_118694629022460_3689119724622315520_n.jpg
This technique is neat. Paint the canvas with black acrylic (let dry) and add in transparent colors...phthalo blue/green, alizarin crimson, etc.. they appear black until you add in a opaque color like titanium white, cad yellow, etc. So you can easily blend in a little light for a star scene. The galaxy itself...well I wasn't too pleased. I did go back over it again and the final result (not pictured) was something like a pinwheel. I feel that it needed a better perspective and form...just need to do this one over. Reference pictures are helpful.
33921618_108192660072657_3224154695530446848_o.jpg
First time I watched Bob Ross paint the northern lights, I thought it was a bit basic...which is fine. I think Bob's objective and timeframe to paint is well justified. I wanted to do something a little more natural looking. I think the aurora turned out nice, but the foreground is lacking depth and detail, like it is missing something. But overall it was a fun painting and might do more stuff with this sort of style in the future.
33985698_108192730072650_3285358348865634304_o.jpg
This is the most recent finished painting so far. I got two more right now I am working on and will probably post them in the near future. This is a supercell thunderstorm in the plains. I was happy with how the clouds turned out, you can see some mammatus clouds in the top left and the inflow... I really thought I was going to screw up horribly trying to add in lightning into the painting but it turned out pretty well.
34538095_118692272356029_1191355620750524416_n.jpg

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by LJay » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 pm

KKeep at it, man.

Social Media