(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-6265552461186991", enable_page_level_ads: true });

Weird Foods

I made this forum while hungry. Talk about food, cooking, share recipes or good places to eat. I envy Andrew Zimmern...
Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Orientation: Gay
Mood:

Weird Foods

Post by Axle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 pm

What is the weirdest or most disgusting food you have tried and liked?

Seafood for me has been that one genre of food that is as good as it is weird for me. Eating octopus was interesting because if someone said here try some octopus I probably would have been a bit reluctant to try it. The first time I tried it I think it was in some sort of korean dish I can't remember exactly for sure what it was but it was among many other things, shrimp, and noodles...things of that sort. Of course I love seafood anyway. That's weirdest thing I like that popped in my head first.

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Re: Weird Foods

Post by emiliano » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Definitely balut, or dinuguan. Filipinos eats some crazy shit.
I also really like escargot. Frog legs from Nathan's were pretty good too. Kimchi is kind of weird i guess, but i love that. Scrapple is pretty gross when you think about it, but its one of my favorite things about visiting Philly. I also really like vegemite/marmite. Uni is good too, but kind of gross to think about. And I've eaten guinea pig at an Ecuadorian friend's party... but Id be lying if I said I really liked it. It kind of tasted like fish skin.

Ive tried octopus and squid a few times, but i really dont like the texture. Was the Korean style you had rubbery and chewy, @Axle ?

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:11 am

Yep it was rubbery and chewy, the texture didn't bother me so much... Taste, well it was mixed in with a lot of things but I don't think there was a distinct taste that I can remember.

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by LJay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:39 am

My favorite squid is calamari. Lightly fried it can be tender and not chewy. Has to be battered and rfried from fresh or thawed frozen and cut. The premade frozen things in the boxes suck.

Anybody tried umiboshi, Japanese pickled plums. Said to be good for hangovers.

As a kid, I loved brains, but these days I am shy of them due to mad cow disease.

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:11 pm

I love Japanese plums, my mom makes rice balls with them, they’re delicious. I like plum wine too.

I never liked calamari either. That reminds me of a Portuguese grilled baby octopus dish I’ve tried. Like you just put the whole thing in your mouth. It wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t something I’d ever order again.

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am

emiliano wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:11 pm
I love Japanese plums, my mom makes rice balls with them, they’re delicious. I like plum wine too.

I never liked calamari either. That reminds me of a Portuguese grilled baby octopus dish I’ve tried. Like you just put the whole thing in your mouth. It wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t something I’d ever order again.
Never had Japanese plums, how would you describe them?

I do like calimari lol funny thing is the first time I tried them I didn't even ask what it was and just started eating them.

The thing about me is that I have a pretty wide pallete, I like a lot of things... I don't like liver though lol that to me is gross...I mean it is the organ that filters out all the crap in the body afterall...

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by LJay » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:42 pm

OOOOOOOAxle! I love the chicken livers at my favorite restaurant here and got some Saturday night for dinner. At least two meals worth and I still have half left for another meal or snack.

I'm sure you don't have an Aldi, Emiliano probably has, but I went there today to get something and grabbed a few goodies too: lox and some cheese and almond windmill cookies and marmalade and artichokes. It is a dangerous place because things run at low prices and they hit you right inside the door with these great chocolates and wine.

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Axle wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am
emiliano wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Never had Japanese plums, how would you describe them?

I do like calimari lol funny thing is the first time I tried them I didn't even ask what it was and just started eating them.

The thing about me is that I have a pretty wide pallete, I like a lot of things... I don't like liver though lol that to me is gross...I mean it is the organ that filters out all the crap in the body afterall...

They are like really sour and salty. Its hard to describe. They're pickled. Its not something youd really eat straight, like I said, my mom makes them in rice balls with spam and eggs. Trying to think about their taste right now has got me craving them really hard. If you have an asian grocery near you, you might be able to find them. I've never had them in a restaurant setting before.

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 pm

LJay wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:42 pm
OOOOOOOAxle! I love the chicken livers at my favorite restaurant here and got some Saturday night for dinner. At least two meals worth and I still have half left for another meal or snack.

I'm sure you don't have an Aldi, Emiliano probably has, but I went there today to get something and grabbed a few goodies too: lox and some cheese and almond windmill cookies and marmalade and artichokes. It is a dangerous place because things run at low prices and they hit you right inside the door with these great chocolates and wine.

There are aldis in NYC, but the only time I've been to one was outside of DC. They sell a ridiculously good $5 riesling called Landshut. I spent $50 there on wine and a body pillow and I literally didn't even go more than 20 feet inside that store. Ive been meaning to check out the one here, at least for the cheap but delicious wine, but I havent found the time.

And I love liver too, I have a chunk of braunschweiger in my fridge right now for breakfast tomorrow.
There used to be a bar id go to that served duck rillettes, which i was obsessed with, but I never got the same satisfaction from store bought rillettes.

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:50 pm

You guys dont understand how much i love food. Even the weird stuff.

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by LJay » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm

@Emiliano, for something really gorgeous, check out the site ourdeliciousfood.com. I just ran across it this morning and there is some fantastic work on there. Take time to scroll down and see it all.

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by LJay » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:05 pm

@Emiliano, Oh and as far as the food lover's thing, I AM IN!

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:39 am

LJay wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:04 pm
@Emiliano, for something really gorgeous, check out the site ourdeliciousfood.com. I just ran across it this morning and there is some fantastic work on there. Take time to scroll down and see it all.
That all looks really delicious. Im not even a big pie person, but it all looks so good.
I want that lifestyle, honestly. Those people must lead a pretty nice one, eating delicious meals and homemade baked goods in their aesthetically pleasing German country estate. Maybe in another life...

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:32 am

Every now and then I watch a little too much Gordon Ramsay and go on a cooking binge sort of. Like one night I wanted Long John Silvers which none are around here anymore (it closed a few years ago)... So I looked up how to make the breading and while it was sort of a miss in the end I actually got pretty close as far as taste. So it is a learning experience and that's the fun of it...most of the time. I do easily get frustrated but I think the balance is to not to bite off more than you can chew when it comes to cooking... Sushi for me was very difficult and wound up getting angry because when I tried slicing the sushi it just squished lol and despite that the taste was good, but turns out you really need a very sharp knife for cutting sushi.

Anchovies... I don't quite get the big deal about anchovies being on pizza. The only thing I see wrong and this might be the fact that the anchovies were from a can? But they're very salty and pizza is already plenty high in sodium...

Sardines... My dad used to eat sardines from a can in oil... they are pretty nasty and messy... Is there not another way to prepare sardines? I mean they say it is healthy and I would probably enjoy sardines if they weren't in a oily can with all the stuff to clean up...

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by LJay » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am

Cooking is fun for sure. You are exactly right with your attitude, Axle. Try and learn and enjoy whatever.

That shapr knife is a starting point for a lot of cook, but a trick for slicking squishy meats thinly is to freeze them first. Not exactly according to the rules for sushi, but it works.

I like watching food shows partially because they are not competing and killing people. YouTube Juila Child is a trip.

Anchovies are useful in lots of ways. They are often used sparingly and squished into a paste so that they can add richness but not be obvious. As for the obvious: I LOVE them on Greek salads with good feta cheese. If I am to have them on pizza I don't mind letting them star with onions and red peppers and such.

Try a good piece of whole grain bread toasted and then dump the sardines on top. I add a good grind of pepper. Much easier to handle. Also, remember that there are lots of different kinds and sizes of sardines. I ahd some water pack ones from Aldi recently that are quite different from the usual oil pack--small, tender and less fishy. Skinless and boneless sardines are a revelation, also expensive.

Social Media