(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-6265552461186991", enable_page_level_ads: true });

The Orville vs Star Trek Discovery

Topics about movies and TV shows, series, documentaries.
Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Orientation: Gay
Mood:

The Orville vs Star Trek Discovery

Post by Axle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 am

One thing is sure is that the two shows are vastly different from each other. Going on the assumption that you haven't watched either show, The Orville feel more like a crossover of The Next Generation and Voyager, has a good warmth, good vibes and humor all mixed and while being relevant, so it is the Star Trek (that isn't Star Trek) that we all know and love and Seth MacFarlane is definitely capitalizing on that. The characters are likable, everything in the show though tried and true is very thoughtful. The Orville isn't a cheap rip off of Star Trek.

Star Trek Discovery on the other hand has a lot of things to work out, it is very much more elaborate and the production is definitely more expensive than The Orville in the effects department. A lot of people have a lot of criticism over Michael Burnham's character not being likeable and the way Star Fleet is made out in such a way that you find yourself rooting for the Klingons who are also being criticized for being dumbed down. I see their points and this being a completely new rendition of Star Trek and trying something new it is bound to rub people the wrong way. Does look like character building is a bit slow and Burnham is hard to like for a lot of reasons, mutiny, she's kind of a bitch and stubborn... Same goes for the captain of the Discovery. I mean the characters you do like aren't really in focus so much.

Still early, I would like to see both shows succeed. I do think that MacFarlane is the more likeable show off the cuff anyway and is more to the liking of Star Trek, even though it isn't actually Star Trek. I really think CBS should jump on The Orville if Fox were to cancel it but I'm sure there's a lot of red tape that would prevent that.

Tell me what you think...

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Re: The Orville vs Star Trek Discovery

Post by emiliano » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 am

Ive never watched either show. I have enjoyed some of the random older Star Trek episodes I've seen. Im not much of a fan of Seth McFarlane though.

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by LJay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Axle, I think you may have lived in rural North Carolina a bit too long.

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Tough crowd...

I take it that neither of you guys are Trek fans?

As far as the two shows go, most people draw similar conclusions. I really do like Star Trek, although I never was into the original series, I grew up on The Next Generation and Voyager so something like it, such as the Orville just has a warmth to it and I like it, reminds me of the good old days...

emiliano
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:

Post by emiliano » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 pm

I’m not not a fan. Just haven’t had much exposure to it.

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Post by Axle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 pm

emiliano wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 pm
I’m not not a fan. Just haven’t had much exposure to it.
For me it is something like a dream, it is humanity uniting, everyone for the most part is out for the greater good. I can't really say that, yet, for Discovery, but pretty much every series of Star Trek they're out ot explore and better man kind. So it is a good escape from reality. I'm pretty simple when it comes to TV shows I like, if it makes me laugh, make sense or just feel good, I'm all in. I hate reality shows, not just they aren't really reality, it's often the worst attributes about people that are being brought out.

But yes, give a it a look. If you're more of a drama fan probably Deep Space 9, it tends to go more into the story between different characters... Voyager is more like a mystery type thing...kind of, more of a happy medium, it has a nice "feel good" to it kind of like the Orville, they both have a good charm to it. I would pick a couple episodes from the 2nd season on DS9 and Voyager... Does seem that the 1st seasons are a bit rough around the edges which is why I want to give Discovery more time to work the kinks out. It would be sad if they bomb the show.

Anyway, I'm not into going to conventions or dressing up in a costume...

Social Media