(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "ca-pub-6265552461186991", enable_page_level_ads: true });

Facebook & Privacy

Have something to say about politics? Is there an issue or cause you want to talk about? Post it here!
Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Orientation: Gay
Mood:

Facebook & Privacy

Post by Axle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 am

So I watched parts of Mark Zuckerberg testifying before congress and well, I'll start that Mark isn't stupid and he didn't exactly lie and like those TOS you agree to when you make a facebook profile or install the app on your phone, it is misleading and you really have to understand some of how the technology works to know what it is you're allowing. Yes, I have a facebook page but I might not much longer and there are several reasons for this. One is yes, Facebook is selling my data to advertisers, no it's not like they're sending over my crap in a ZIP file but they are allowing 3rd parties to have access to my profile which might be things like the things I post, pictures and whatnot and we all know that all the safeguards they can put in place will at some point be compromised. Even banks can't keep our stuff secure.

I feel that if you want an online presence that you want to share with people, make your own website, sure it might cost some, does require some technical knowledge...but there are paid services that you can use. That being said, there are downsides to a website, besides the obvious things like design and maintenance. Everything you post on your website is public, there is no privacy button, so you do have to be careful about what you post. You are also liable for things you post, if you copy images that are contrary to fair use you can be in for it. So having your own website, like this site is one of my websites, isn't for everyone. There are other outlets on the internet, blogs and other things people can use. I am a big on suggesting people have their own websites, as far as rolling your own server that's not for everyone.

So what does everyone think about this whole thing about Facebook?

LJay
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Reactions:
Mood:

Re: Facebook & Privacy

Post by LJay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Well, I have no illusions that anything I put on the web is private. Never have had. Don't have enough to say to have my own website. Really do not understand Facebook and am too shy to go there and find out what is going on. Probably would not do much with it anyway. I am not a networker or a picture taker or sharer. What is in it for me?

Axle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Mood:

Re: Facebook & Privacy

Post by Axle » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Well I think the problem is that people mindlessly agree to whatever terms of service, privacy agreement, what have you without having the slightest idea what's in it or how your data gets used. At the same time I think most people know and realize that their information, web history, facebook posts, searches and so on get used as marketing tools. Even the camera and microphones on some smart phones are used, SMS & text messages and so on are being collected for various purposes...marketing is a big one.

What you wouldn't think about it how everyone's data as a whole is being used. It is no longer about just you and me, we as humans are being studied so that companies of all sorts can predict our behavior and what sort of content should be delivered to foster a certain behavior, say voting for a particular candidate. Facebook allegedly collects or collected medical data and the data was sold to insurance companies.

That all being said, no your information online isn't private but it is both reckless and ignorant that people will just put just about everything about them online, tag people in photos (facial recognition and other biometric data) and feel falsely comfortable about it. The problem is people just don't know how their data is being used and that it is being used in very unethical ways and will continue to be that way.

Kind of freaky when you think about it all...even scarier that the up and coming generation have no idea, they're born into all this and have no concept of life without all this crap.

Social Media